Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What I do

This is my very first posting, and before I start I'd like to thank my wife, Ornella, for encouraging me to do this. She's been after me for months, no, make that years to get a blog set up. Up to now I've been writing for other sites, magazines and a few newspapers, mostly in Italy.

I live in Montreal, in the Hochelaga/Maisonneuve neighborhood. It's a very french part of town where hardly anyone speaks English. All the Quebec nationalists on the island live out here. It's a poor section of the city, many families are on welfare, but the people are very friendly. As for the weather, in the summer it's very green with lots of trees and overgrown gardens. The winters, on the other hand, tend to be brutal. They last about five months out of the year and are extremely cold and full of snow.

I'm not from Montreal. I'm not even a Canadian. I was born in Miami and spent most of my childhood there. The other big chunk of my life was spent in Europe. Twenty-two years in Italy and a year in Spain.

While in Milan I started and finished Strange Tribe, a memoir about my father Gregory Hemingway and his dad, Ernest Hemingway. Click here to see a review from Curledupwithagoodbook.com which I think gives you a pretty good feel for the book.

Bene, per oggi questo e' tutto.


No comments: